EDITIONS: usa  | espaÑol
Anthony Joshua must ignore the hype and steer clear of 2016 world title fight

It's over.

Now that the dust has settled and Anthony Joshua has left the building with a large silver box containing his Lonsdale belt -- perhaps the least desired bauble of all true champions -- there has been a gentle shift in opinions.

Joshua, it has to be said, was not the first or the loudest to make clear his intentions to rule the world. However, he has still talked boldly about beating almost every heavyweight currently punching for pay. In the breathless aftermath of Saturday's exhilarating fight there was, thankfully, a lot of sense spoken. "I'm still far away," admitted Joshua.

It looked like the end for Robbie Regan when Dai Gardiner, his manager, "told him he was not going out for the 10th round of his attempt to become the WBO flyweight champion against Alberto Jimenez at the National Ice, Cardiff."

The judges all had Jimenez in front "by three, five and nine rounds" and "his punches were textbook perfect and delivered with calm efficiency." It was his first defence and he made four more.

Regan had pushed the champion in every round, but it was simply not enough: "Regan, 26, sobbed as his efforts came to an end but his beaten face and the worried expressions of his entourage, who gathered to comfort him, made it clear that his manager's decision was the only option."

In Regan's next fight he won a version of the world title when he stopped previously unbeaten Ferid Ben Jeddou but never defended the IBF title. His last fight was in 1996 and he lost on points for the WBO bantamweight title to Daniel Jimenez.

As reported in The Daily Telegraph, June 19, 1995.

In the ring and in victory Joshua proved that he will one day be ready for just about anybody in the fight game. Joshua again: "When I get the world title I want to keep it. I don't want to win it and then lose it." Perhaps the people in the Joshua business should let him, and only him, speak.

Joshua can fight and hopefully now that we all know he is not ready for a world title fight he will be able to have five or six more fights before getting his crack at the crown. Seasoned big boys like Alexander Povetkin, Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury, David Haye and perhaps another five or six heavyweights would have beaten him on Saturday night.

Hopefully, there will be a fight next year against Dereck Chisora, who was in the Finchley boxing club gym and was the GB amateur champion when Joshua first walked thought the doors. Del Boy, as he is affectionately known, has been through a few different careers since turning professional back in 2007; Chisora has pushed Tyson Fury in one of their fights, pushed Vitali Klitschko in their world title fight, pushed the patience of a lot of people and lost a couple of other big ones.

On Saturday, hours before Joshua was the main event, Chisora won for the 24th time and stopped his second opponent in eight days. And -- this is not a joke -- a well-conditioned, motivated and hungry Chisora is a hard fight for Joshua; it is also a very sensible fight. However, I don't think a fight with David Haye is a sensible fight and if Haye, after three years out, still looks fast and sharp in his January return, I would remove his name from the Joshua shopping list.

"I don't need do-or-die fights right now," said Joshua. A fight with Chisora could be hard, could be gruelling but it would probably just give Joshua the chance to go beyond the seven rounds he did on Saturday night, which was the first time he had gone beyond three rounds. A date in April makes sense, then he could be chief support to some type of massive Summer Showdown and then have a third fight in November to end what would be a great 2016. Well, that is assuming he wins all three fights.

There will not be and there should not be a world title fight next year for Joshua. Why? Well, there is simply no need and he would lose.

Copyright © 2015 MVPBOXING.com. Masson ® Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.